Friday, January 25, 2013

Hurry up and wait...

I have finally ventured into the world of authors.  I have sent in a manuscript for review.

No I am not telling where I sent it in.  I refuse to jinx myself by talking about the specifics.  But let me say that there is NO deodorant that can hold up while you are typing that email.  I recommend maxi pads in your armpits if you are thinking of typing that email.  Even then a well-ventilated room and a fan maiden might prove useful.

Before that day, I made myself a spreadsheet of all the different publishers I thought might be a good fit for me.  (yes I am the queen geek)  I wrote down all the specifics for each publisher.  Where to send that initial query, who is the initial contact, what their formatting specifications are, the royalty schedule, and length requirements were all laid out in a very formulaic pattern.  I knew where I was going to go first, who I needed to send to, and had started writing my blurb, synopsis, and query letters. Do you know how many different lengths publishers want for a synopsis? The industry really needs to come together on this.  

Well, in the middle of all that I get an email.

"I know an editor..."

All my plans go out the window and I scramble to finish a fast final read through.  I don't know the protocol for emailing the editor directly!  It's not in my spreadsheet!!  *flails*

But I am given the opportunity to get my foot in the door.  I have to jump on it. So I send it in.  Now what?

You guessed it.  I wait.

Week 1: My story is great!  The editor is going to love it.  I can't wait to hear back.

Week 2: Well, maybe it's not as good as it could be.  Hopefully, the editor will  realize this is my first book.  Should I have put that I am willing to do revisions?

Week 3: My story is the worst thing I have ever written.  I hope the editor won't spit on the computer screen while reading.  I would hate to get sued for the repair bill. Maybe it's best if I don't hear back.


Then I was checking my emails like I do every morning and there it sits.  THE EMAIL.  The editor loved it!  I think my sanity would have been questioned if the way I danced around my living room would have been video taped. Pretty sure the moves I did, held no rhythm consistent to any song in existence.  Good thing I was at home and not checking my email on my phone in public.  I would have been dancing just as badly regardless of where I was.

There is nothing better than a stranger telling you, that your story is good.  Nothing better.  It falls in line with sex, chocolate, and bacon.  That good.

Now I am in the system.  I got positive news.  What's next? More waiting.  I have a few more weeks to tear my hair out and believe myself the most inept author in the world, but for right now, I am going to take the praise.  I am going to frame the email, and I am going to have a beer and toast a day in my life I will never forget.  Cheers.

Tonight, I celebrate.

Tomorrow, I wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment